Sunday, July 25, 2010

Who I Am

Hi! My name is Allyson Vaughan. My name hasn’t always been Allyson Vaughan... In fact I recently got married, July 3rd 2010.



That crazy journey we call “Wedding Planning” is a big factor that lead to the birth of my new baby blog. One, because I learned what it was like to not live healthfully (10 month long party), and secondly, because wedding planning is like a full time job and I have found myself with a little bit of free time. But let’s not digress.

Simply put; I LOVE food. I have always loved food. But it wasn’t until recently that I fell in love with the food I was eating and not just the obsession of eating it. There are only a couple other things in life that I love as much as food. My amazing husband Ryan...



And my snuggle bug Bella Boosh



During high school I was a LEAN mean teenage machine. I played water polo and swam competitively so I had the appetite of a GIANT with a metabolism to match. Upon graduation of high school, I went straight to college at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo where I set out on my 4 year adventure of getting my BS in Nutrition (which turned into 4 ¼ years because I lived in Australia for 6 months which I would recommend to everyone.) College is a big change in a person’s life. Looking back, the most notable changes were; I was no longer an athlete, I entered into a love hate relationship with campus dining (I loved to eat the food, so many choices. But we always joked it was like a race back to the dorm bathrooms…gross). I still ate like a GIANT and beer and vodka crans became regular beverages of choice.

Ironic how I was getting my degree in nutrition and was slowly becoming more and more unhealthy. And to top it off I was definitely packing on the LB’s!! By the time I left San Luis Obispo in 2006 I had gained (and lost and then gained back) at the most 20lbs since I graduated from high school. What happened to the freshman 15!?!?!


To make a really long story short, these past few years have been amazing. I work in an industry where I am surrounded by integrative and holistic health care practitioners. I have learned so much through the years, but something that has changed my life forever is learning how to eat REAL FOOD and what it means to have a healthy relationship with food.

Our society has spent the past few decades coming out with product after product that is apparently the next best thing, when at the end of the day it’s just a mix of processed crap that’s probably going to be “bad” for us in a few years time. Whole foods, organic foods, and meals you make from scratch taste better and are better for you than anything else out there. And it can be easy too…and that’s where I come in.

I want to share with you the changes I have made, epiphanies that have happened in my life, challenges I have faced, and ways that I have adjusted my lifestyle so I could become a healthier individual inside and out. Though I am not completely there, I am getting closer to finding a balance between food, fitness and FUN!!

2 comments:

  1. This is going to be such an AMAZING and INSPIRATIONAL blog! Especially for young girls (college) like me! Share more stories and personal opinions about nutrition and all that good stuff! You're well on your way! Love you cousin!
    -Kimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job Ally! Good on ya!
    Tamixxoo

    ReplyDelete